Sandman is the guardian of dreams. Although he doesn't speak, he communicates through sand images that he conjures above his head much like a game of charades. Think Harp Marx meets Buddha. He is ancient and wise and incredibly powerful. Although peaceful by nature, the Sandman is a fierce fighter expertly wielding his dreamsand whips to fight Pitch and his nightmares.
—Rise of the Guardians official website
Sandman is the Rise of the Guardians re-imagining of the mythic bringer of dreams. He is the first ever Guardian, the Guardian of Dreams. He lives on a island. It appears that he is Pitch's true enemy, and really the only one that he is afraid of. Sadly, in the movie, he is seemingly destroyed when Pitch turns him into a nightmare, but he returns at the end, using a dreamsand whip to defeat him once and for all.
Sandman is a short and squat individual, garbed in an outfit made of his dream sand, appearing as a rippling single-piece suit of sorts. His hair is golden and short, styled into five points, and glitters like his sand. He also has tiny feet and golden brown eyes.
Sandman is peaceful by nature. He never speaks as he doesn't want to wake anyone up, but instead communicates with his expressions and forming images from his dream sand, which is odd because for one who never speaks, Sandy appears to have plenty to say. Though mostly peaceful and calm, Sandy is fierce fighter, able to create whips from his dream sand to attack his opponents.
He finds those who threaten children intolerable, as he aggressively attacked Pitch without warning, primarily because Sandy cares deeply for children and puts their well-being before his own.
Sandy has a vivid imagination and a positive effect on his fellow Guardians, with all of whom he holds a beloved and deep friendship.
Sandy can be a little silly and childish himself (as shown by his behavior when he and his fellow Guardians turned collecting teeth into a competition when trying to keep the children's faith in Toothiana alive), and can mistakenly take things literally, like when Bunnymund told him to "knock [Jamie] out" with the sand; Sandy intended to punch Jamie out with his fists until Bunnymund corrected him. He also dislikes it when no one seems to notice or understand him when he's trying to communicate, as he literally shook an elf so its jingle bell would earn him the Guardians' undivided attention so he could point out the Man in the Moon.
Powers and Abilities
- Dreamsand Whips
- Dreamsand Images materializing over his head
- Creating Dreams via Dreamsand
- His signature color is yellow.
- Sandman is the Guardian of Dreams.
- Each stream of dreamsand contains a dream which Sandman can transport to anyone on the globe.
- Sandman sends children dreams that help their wishes come true, for a wish always begins with a dream.
- In the trailer, the only sound Sandman made is snoring.
- Sandman travels on a cloud of dream sand, which he can morph into any form of transportation
- Sandy and his dream sand are actually crucial to the rest of the Guardians, as the pleasant dreams Sandy provides for children helps them continue to have faith in the Guardians, which is why Pitch targeted him and almost won.
- It has been rumored that voice actor, Tom Kenny, was set to voice the Sandman, but the rumors were later conformed false, as the Sandman has no speaking roles (see bottom).
- Sandy is arguably the most powerful of the Guardians because, unlike the rest, Sandy is able to connect to any and every child every night because he sends out his dream sand to bring pleasant dreams to all.
- Sandman was the first guardian chosen by The Man in the Moon (character).
- Sandy seems to like eggnog, as he drank several consecutive glasses of it while at the North Pole.
- Sandman never speaks, so as to not wake anybody up. He instead communicates through dream sand images that he conjures above his head. Much like a game of charades.
- Sandy and Pitch are polar opposites and likely even each other's foil character:
- Sandy is short and round; Pitch is tall and lean
- Sandy is bright and appealing; Pitch is dark and foreboding
- Sandy creates pleasant dreams; Pitch creates nightmares
| Rise of the Guardians Wiki has|
related to Sandman.
The Guardians of Childhood
- The Man in the Moon
- The Sandman: The Story of Sanderson Mansnoozie
- The Sandman and the War of Dreams