Tsar Lunar, known as the Man in the Moon or simply "MiM", was the very first Guardian who lived on the moon and protected the dreams of all children his ship. In the movie, he is shown to be a silent, but active, observer of the transpiring events. He is the one who convinces the four Guardians that Pitch's return was a true threat, and the one who chooses Jack Frost to be the newest Guardian to aid them.
Although he never actually speaks, he can communicate through the shining of the moon's light, and is frequently spoken to by other characters. Pitch considers him an "old friend", North refers to him as "Manny", and Jack often asks him who he (Jack) is, and why he was chosen. He is only ever represented in the movie as the moon itself.
In the book
The Man in the Moon (MiM) began his life in the Golden Age, when all dreams were possible. But when his family is attacked by Pitch, The Nightmare King, MiM finds himself alone on a small moon, revolving around the planet called Earth. MiM keeps watch over the children of Earth, and vows never to let their dreams be invaded by Pitch's nightmares. MiM calls to his side, a band of heroes to serve as The Guardians.
- "Toot toot?"
- "There are children on Earth! Children like me!"
- "Now the children of Earth will see the moon's smiling face and know they have a Nightlight to guard them forever!"
- "I wish you well."
- "I wish that you would help. When the moon's not full and bright, would you keep the children safe at night?"
| Rise of the Guardians Wiki has|
related to The Man in the Moon.
- Nightlight was The Man in the Moon's personal Guardian.
- When the Man in the Moon was little, he wished on the Sandman's shooting star.
- In Rise of the Guardians, The Man in the Moon is never seen in person, although Pitch and the Guardians are constantly talking to him from a distance, suggesting the filmmakers intended for MiM to act as more of a more spiritual deity.