Rise of the Guardians is out soon, but what is the movie even about? If you don't know, check out our starter's guide now for the facts!
What's the series about?
The Guardians of Childhood is a series of children's picture books and novels written and illustrated by author William Joyce, who's other works include George Shrinks, Santa Calls, A Day with Wilbur Robinson, and the much loved Rolie Polie Olie series.
The Man in the Moon is the first picture book in the Guardians of Childhood series. It tells the story Tsar Lunar, the very first Guardian who lives on the moon and protects the dreams of all the world's children.
Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King is the first novel in The Guardians of Childhood series, featuring North, William Joyce's version of Santa Clause. This story pits the rebellious hero against the Nightmare King and his horde of Fearlings who haunt the night and lurk in the shadows.
E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at the Earth's Core! is the second novel in the Guardians of Childhood series. A chocolatier, zen master, and warrior, E. Aster Bunnymund joins the ongoing fight against the Nightmare King.
What is this movie?
Rise of the Guardians is an upcoming 2012 American 3D computer-animated fantasy-adventure film based on William Joyce's The Guardians of Childhood book series and The Man in the Moon short film by Reel FX and Joyce.
In the film, our ragtag group made up of North, aka Santa Claus, Tooth, aka the Tooth Fairy, Jack Frost, Bunnymund, aka the Easter Bunny, and Sandman must band together and stop Pitch, aka the Boogeyman, from plunging the world into perpetual fear and darkness! They must work to protect the hopes, beliefs and imagination of children all over the world.
- Voiced by Chris Pine, Jack Frost is the Guardian of Fun, and he has no memory of his human life. He is not an official Guardian because he prefers working separately.
- North is the Rise of the Guardians reimagining of Santa Claus and is the Guardian of Wonder. North is voiced by Alec Baldwin and the character has the words "Naughty" and "Nice" tattooed on his arms.
- Toothiana, or Tooth, is the reimagining of the Tooth Fairy, the mythological creature that takes the lost teeth of children and leaves behind money and is the Guardian of Memories. Tooth is voiced by Isla Fisher, and the character guards all the teeth she collects in her castle in Southeast Asia.
- Bunnymund is the reimagining of the Easter Bunny, with an Australian accent and is the Guardian of Hope. Voiced by Hugh Jackman, he is a Pooka, a philosophical warrior rabbit, and he fights with enchanted boomerangs and exploding eggs!
- Sandman is the Rise of the Guardians reimagining of the mythic bringer of dreams, and he is the first ever Guardian, the Guardian of Dreams. He lives in a Sandship that travels all over the world.
The Bad Guy
Pitch is voiced by Jude Law and is the movie version of the boogeyman, the mythic creature that haunts the closets and dark corners of childhood nightmares and is also known as the Nightmare King. Even though Jack joins the Guardians to stop him, Pitch tries to persuade Jack into joining him.
Rise of the Guardians is getting released in theaters November 21, 2012.